I won’t be an expert to talk about Ayurveda you probably know as I am trained in allopathic Medicine. But sharing the issue with few of my Auyrvedic doctor friends, they told me some of the of the Ayurvedic herbal remedies that you can make to help the snoring
Snoring Cure in Ayurvedic Medicine
Ayurveda considers snoring as one of the vitiated “vatha” disorder. It’s the Improper movement of Prana vatha during sleep time disturbing the functioning of Udana vatha resulting in extra sounds during breathing as Snoring. The Prana movement obstruction could be due to extra shleshma (phlegm) ,Nasarandhra shotha or vakrata (Nasal septum swelling or deviation), Visham vishram stithiti (wrong sleep posture) etc.
Some Remedies from Ayurveda
- Nasyam -Medications to relieve congestion of the nose may be helpful inreducing snoring and the likelihood of sleep apnea episodes. This can be effectively achieved by nasal administration of certain herbal oil or simple saline. The Preparations used for this purpose are shadbindu taila,anu taila etc.
- Karna Purana- This is a process where the entire ear is filled with some oil from some herbs which help in clearing the channels and thus relieves the congestion. Preparations used for this purpose can be karanja taila,apamarga kshara taila,bilva taila etc.
- Shiro Dhara-Very efficient treatment for relieving the stress and strain. It soothes the nerves and thus ensures the sound and deep sleep to the patient. The preparations used for this purpose can be ksherera bala taila, panchguna taila etc.SHIRO ABHYANGA-It has almost similar results as that of the shiro dhara.butit particularly exerts its result on the scalp and the superficial nerves. It strengthens the nervous system and ensures deep sleep to the patient.
- Pranayam and Yoga-In yogic terms prana means the vital energy and ayam means exercise. Pranayam defines the regulation of the in and out flow of this vital energy. It explains that the body, breath and the mind are intricately interwoven. When the air moves the mind moves and when the air is stilled the mind also could be stilled. Hence the various techniques employed in Pranayam are to stabilize the flow of air thus to achieve the balanced state of mind. Thus it very much help in clearing the channels of the body and help to relieve the snoring. Yoga is a physical and mental practice that involves the body, mind and spirit. Yoga’s gentle, mindful and controlled movements can provide a non- or low-impact workout for people in almost any physical condition. Yogic exercises can ease tense muscles, improve flexibility and enhance strength, balance and endurance.
The preparations made with the following herbs have proved to be very efficient in many cases of snoring-Kantakari (Solanum xanthocarmum), Pippali (Piper longum),Kasamarda (Cassia occidentalis),Brahti (Solanum indicum),Karkatshringi (Pistacia integerrima) ,Agastya (Sesbania grandiflora) etc. Herbal formulations – Agastye haritaki rasayana 1 teaspoon once,Tablet Kapha ketu ras 2 morning 2 evening,Vyoshadi vati 1 morning and 1 evening. Make a ‘Sleep well Tea’ to be taken just before sleeping -with Tulsi (Basil leaves),Brahmi (Gotukola),Tagar (Valerian) and a bit green tea leaves.
HEALTH TIPS TO AVOID SNORING:
- Loose weight and improve your eating habits.
- Try to avoid tranquilizers, sleeping pills and antihistamines before you go to bed.
- Avoid alcohol, heavy meals, or snacks at least four hours before you sleep.
- Establish regular sleeping patterns.
- Sleep on your side rather than on your back.
- Tilt the head of your bed up four inches.
- Decongestants. Snoring caused by nasal congestion may be successfully treated with decongestants. Some effective herbal remedies that clear the nasal passages include Pippali (Piper longum) and Kanthkari (Solanum xanthocarpum) Steam inhalation of essential oils of tailaparni (Eucalyptus globulus)mple, try to go to bed at the same time every night.
- A tea brewed with basil leaves, Gotukola, Valerian, and green tea are renowned to help snoring in Ayurveda. What you do with this tea is before you go to sleep have a cup of this tea and sleep well.